“Feet of Clay:”
Analyzing Gender Roles and Sexual Mores in Greco-Roman and Judeo-Christian Creation Myths:
A Lesson Plan
This lesson is appropriate for third semester Latin students.
Students Will Be Able To: analyze Greco-Roman and Judeo-Christian creation myths to infer their culture’s perceptions of gender roles and sexual mores
• What is gender? What is the difference between sex and gender?
• What are gender roles? Are gender roles good or bad?
• What does a culture’s creation myth tell us about their perspectives of gender, gender roles, and sexuality?
• How can studying a culture’s literary products provide insight into their perspectives?
• What can we learn by comparing different cultures’ perspectives on gender and sexuality?