First Semester Latin students
Students Will Be Able To: analyze the virtues and vices of early Roman heroes [in passages adapted for the first semester Latin student] of Livy’s Ab Urbe Condita for Roman perspectives of gender roles
· What is gender? What is the difference between sex and gender?
· What are gender roles? Are gender roles good or bad?
· What are some modern gender roles in our society?
· Can gender roles change over time?
· What does a culture’s heroes tell us about their perspectives of gender and gender roles?
· How can studying a culture’s literary products provide insight into their perspectives and stereotypes?
· What can we learn by comparing different cultures’ perspectives on gender and sexuality?